Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thusly It Begins.

One month ago I was stressing a paper titled "El Uso de las Formas de Tratamiento en la Telenovela Mexicana Marina" for my Spanish sociolinguistics class. Two weeks ago I was stressing the LSAT. Today, I find myself a professional musician. Oh the difference a month can make.

As Class Project prepares to embark on the 2007 Pursue the Passion tour I find myself reflecting upon exactly what has brought me to this point. Five years ago I'd never written a song. 12 months ago I'd never performed live. In two weeks I leave on a nation-wide tour. Of all the things that have passed between I can say only that they fundamentally shaped the person I am today, and who I will be in the future.

Goodbye is rough. D-Web left, after a half-decade under the Tucson sun, and the place is not the same. The dynamic nature of a place is never fully realized until the dynamic pieces start going instead of coming. It is one thing to deal with an influx of new people, but to watch their exodus is an entirely different beast altogether.

As I prepare to leave my home, my friends, my family and the city I have known for 23 years, I find solace in nos vemos. When I left Argentina after a six-month stay I was a wreck. Through mutual tears at the Ezeiza International Airport, my friend Julian said:
No hay adios ni hasta luego. Solo nos vemos. Nos vemos pronto.

There is no goodbye. Only we will see each other. We will see each other soon.
There are no goodbyes, only new hellos inspired by the greatness of every one that came before.

We'll see each other soon…

No comments: