Sunday, September 9, 2007

Lobster Omelettes.

            Summering on the Cape has never been my thing. I'm more of a Coronado, Greece kind of guy. Even with this bias in mind, I agreed to a two-day stay at BJ and Eric's summer home on Cape Cod. BJ and Eric are friends of Brett's from Tucson, and, as it turns out, friends of mine as well. Tucson, some say, is a small world.

 

            Their three-story house overlooking what I presume to be the Atlantic Ocean is magnificent. We spent the afternoon playing football on the beach, and spent the night eating lobster, steak, chicken, clam chowder and corn. I abstained from the lobster because it was looking at me funny. Well, he got his, in the form of omelettes this morning, of which I still did not partake.

 

            We went to a local candy shop(pe) last night, and then to some local haunt to take with the natives. They call anyone who has lived on the cape less than three generations 'wash ashores.' What does that make three guys in an RV? Dinner? I spoke to a girl outside the bar who was a UMASS English graduate student. She took offense when asked how she studies the classics while unable to pronounce large chunks of the alphabet.

 

            Back to Boston this evening, where I may be seeing my mother who has made a rare departure from her zip code. I got really excited when I found out our schedules coincide. So any mother that may read this, know your kids are really excited to see you. I miss my family. I miss sarcasm. I miss Bibi & Papa, although I have this nagging suspicion they are sitting where I think they are. On the road everything is lovely. We are awash in positive attention is not money and dignity.

 

xoxo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always enjoy the here-and-there reading i do of your blogs. your writing is good most of the time, and this time the three words that resonated with me the most were "i miss sarcasm." i'm in this new city trying to navigate social networks to form genuine relationships, but i feel trapped by the annoying pergatory of niceness. you know, it's the stage where you're all smiles, people don't know any of your faults, and no one let's their alter-ego jerk side come out.

i think i'm sort of tired of being liked by everyone. i want real friends i can be sarcastic with, that i can be a jerk to with out worrying that they won't invite me to the next social hour.

i wish you were coming around so i could make fun of you.